Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Day 8: New Years Eve in Cuba!

Today I woke up at 8:00am. I quickly got dressed and went down to breakfast with my mom. The food was very interesting and I ended up just eating bread and sausage. We met in the lobby and began our tricycle tour. We picked our driver and took the seats in the back. First we drove to two different plazas, seeing the bank, the church, and others. Then we went to a galleria and my mom bought a painting she loved long with a few others. We drove to a few other plazas and visited different galleries along the tour. We also went to a farmers market and walked through getting an explanation from our your guide. At one point our driver let me try biking and it was a blast! It was difficult with people in the back, but I did it... Until the chain came off and  I was demoted. The tour ended in a plaza near our hotel and a bunch of us went to the cafe ciudad. 




Most people got coffees and five people ordered sandwiches. After our snack/lunch lien, my mom, and I walked around and visited the Coppelia, which is a government run ice cream shop. The restaurant was interesting and incredibly cheap, not even 1 dollar for two ice creams. When finished, Lien returned to Marie and Jenny while my mom and I walked back to the hotel to relax. We got back and did just that, but I wasn't feeling well so I didn't sleep that much.  I felt 100% after 6 o clock and I began getting ready for New Years, including makeup, hair, and a long dress. 

We all met downstairs at 7, and complimented everyone on their outfits and were taken aback by the inappropriate image of a lady's bottom on David's shirt. We took tricycles to the house where we would celebrate New Years. We went up stairs and talked for two hours eating snacks and drinking. We had dinner at 9:30 and afterward we headed downstairs for dancing at 11:00. We danced for quite a while and eventually got tired, so we sat down and talked. At 11:58 we went outside on the street to see a man putting up a type of scarecrow man that would light. He threw gasoline on the dummy and we waited. 2 minutes passed and David popped open the cider and the man lot the dummy on fire. Soon following the fire, down the street, buckets of water were thrown out of doors and another scarecrow was burning a while down the road. We enjoyed our cider and went back to the house for more dancing. At this point, most people in the group were drunk, and they were having a fantastic time. The host offered us cake and we tried it, but it was not very good, it tasted like egg and felt like chalk on the tongue. Then, the cake was followed by nuggets which were almost impossible to bite down on. Lastly, soft nuggets were distributed and it tasted like a type of peanut butter that was too sweet. But I am glad everyone tried the traditional Cuban food. 
When the party was coming to an end, some people left by taxi, then my mom and I, and lastly, Abby, Jenny, Marie, and Anthony. It was a really fun night. When I arrived at the hotel I was absolutely exhausted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment