Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 10: Trip in Trinidd



This morning we woke up in our home in Trinidad and it was lovely. We went downstairs for breakfast around 8pm and prepared for our boat trip. We took a van to the marina and waited for our catamaran. We saw a few people leaving the waiting area to board a boat, so we followed them. Soon everyone was walking to the catamaran. Jenny, Abby, and I struggled to find a nice spot, but after a while, we found a perfect area on the net. Jenny and I laid of our backs and chatted for quite a while. We reapplied sunscreen then turned to our fronts after about an hour and a half.

We shortly arrived at an island and the driver offered people to get off at the island then or to go out snorkeling, then return. We chose to go snorkeling with everyone, but once we got to the snorkel spot, Abby and I did not have an urge to snorkel. We both wanted to swim, so we just got into the water and swam with the snorkelers. We found Anthony and Jenny came out as well. We took Anthony's camera and started taking selfies, continuously while trying to stay above the water. We got back on the boat, salt water in every nook and cranny, and relaxed while we drove back to the island.

When we got off on the island we sat at a table, got drinks, and chatted for a bit. Soon the food came out and Jenny and I were first in line. There was pallella, potatoes, pineapple, beets, and cabbage. We all ate and soon after played a few rounds of chase the ace. In the middle of the game, I walked over to the ramp and there was a huge iguana. People started feeding it, then throwing pallella on the sand, and eventually the crabs created a massive dog pile.

Afterward, we walked over to the water and I saw Jenny and Marie already in. I started walking out over the sharp rocks, but they kept telling me to swim out. I kept thinking to myself, how can I swim out if the water is two feet deep? I kept walking and eventually I gave in and it worked! I got out with them and soon came Abby attempting to do what I had done. We kept telling her to swim and she was probably thinking what I thought. She began crawling and made her way to us. Now Anthony came, wearing water shoes, and he so effortlessly walked through the water, over the rocks, and straight to us. We stood/crouched around for a while laughing tremendously hard as we watched people try to get into the water. We all got out to reapply sunscreen, and we hurried to the boat so we could reserve our spots.

Indeed, we got our spots, and we were soon moving. I laid out on my stomach and actually fell asleep. Jenny woke me up because she thought I was burning, and I turned over. Jenny was reading her magazine and Abby and I talked for a while until we parked at shore. David met the group with a van, and we arrived at home, and walked to the travel agency to pick up reservations for tomorrow, after picking up Lien from the casa.

Afterward, my mom and I walked to the massage shop. We arrived and they sent us to the back room where we found two massage tables with one sheet to lay on top of. They told us to get undressed, but since there was not another sheet to cover our front, we decided to keep our braziers on. My mom asked the lady and she gave us another sheet. Now we were set, until I asked for the female masseuse instead of the man. The lady said he had back problems and could only do massages on the high table, so my mom and I wrapped our sheets around us and switched tables. Finally we were settled and we enjoyed the massages.

The massage was very interesting in that the masseuse made very loud and quick sounds on my back, and every part of my body was sore... But overall it was nice. We were completely covered in oil from the massage on the way home, and I hated walking under street lights because the light reflected off my oil. We got home and my mom got first dibs on the shower, and before she finished, the group started showing up at our house for dinner. Our host opened the minibar, and we enjoyed some drinks.

The food was delicious including side dishes and fish fillet. The dessert was flan and it was quite amazing. After dinner, we all met at the base house and walked to the steps by the main square. As we arrived, we had to pay $1 cuc to get in. We got inside and saw many people dancing to the Cuban music. Quickly I got sick of the atmosphere because there were so many tourists and barely any Cubans other than hustlers trying to get girls drunk and get them to take them to another country! We elect with Annie and got home safely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment