Monday, January 6, 2014

Day 14: No Party for Us in Habana

Today we woke up at 7:30 and went down for breakfast at 8:00. We sat at the table waiting and we kept hearing a knocking at the door, so we called a man and told him. He opened the door, and it was the cook, I think she may have gone to the store. We ate breakfast with a man that is friends with yodelkis and was staying at the house for six weeks. He was from Holland and spoke six different languages. After breakfast we met David and the group in the base house for our city tour. The tour was two hours and we learned about old Havana. When the tour finished, we tipped David and never saw him again.

My mom and I walked to Obisbo street and went to a chocolate store, and then to a cadeca. Afterwards, we went to a restaurant nearby and waited a while to be seated. After being seated, we placed our drink order with our waiter who did not talk. He left us when we asked if we could order food. Eventually he came back to take our order, and this time he said a few words! We waited, and waited... And waited for the food. A lady walked by and we asked how long, and she said the restaurant had no gas and had to use electronics to cook. Perhaps an hour or two later, we got our food. The ropa Vieja was really good and the vegetable risotto was ok. We asked for the check and after twenty minutes, we gave up and my mom went to the counter to pay.

We then got some churros rellenos on the corner, and they were delicious. I got mine with condensed milk and my mom got chocolate condensed milk. After our snack, we walked to market to get more jewelry and soon after walked to the hotel parque central. We have heard that it is five stars and it had internet. We waited in line to use the computers and talked to two really nice people. Eventually I gave up and we left to use the restroom and as we were leaving the guy called us over to let us know there was a computer. We went back and got on the computer. The browser took so long to use, that i sent only one email in the thirty minutes. We took a bici-taxi to cathedral square to meet up with the remains of our group.

We sat at a bar and had dinner and drinks. While sitting there, it started "pissing down" says Jenny. Everyone from the street ran into the bar to protect themselves from the rain. It probably rained for an hour, and throughout the hour, people left on bici-taxis to get home. When it stopped, we all parted and my mom, Abby and I went home. My mom and I took a siesta and ended up not sleeping that much. My mom set an alarm for 9:30 so that we could go to this music place Yodelkis recommended, but I woke up and looked at my phone, and it was 2am.

No comments:

Post a Comment